Jason M. Turkish is the Managing Partner of Nyman Turkish PC, a litigation and disability law firm with offices in California, Florida, and Michigan.
Jason, legally blind since birth, has dedicated his practice to representing disabled clients who need a powerful advocate. Jason has a proven track record of success in fighting for the rights of the disabled. As a leading voice for the disabled and those who need a fair shot, Jason uses his lifetime of personal experience and superior legal training to achieve life-changing results for his clients. His story of overcoming adversity has captivated the attention of clients, fellow attorneys, advocates, and the news media.
Jason has an abiding belief in our justice system and the rule of law. He has handled complex matters in State and Federal Courts. Jason’s success in litigating complex and high-profile cases has not gone unnoticed. He was named by the prestigious organization Super Lawyers as a Rising Star in the legal profession.
Equally important to Jason is his time spent in less-noticed areas of his firm’s practice. He manages the firm’s nationally known Social Security Practice, represents the rights of parents of children with disabilities in obtaining accommodations in public schools, and works to ensure that disabled individuals who have been placed in the family court system are protected.
Jason is recognized as a fierce advocate for his clients and is willing to fight hard to vindicate their rights in court. Michael Harris, the former Executive Director of the Michigan Paralyzed Veterans of America, described Jason as “not only one of the best litigators I have ever met, but also someone who truly understands the law and works tirelessly to protect the rights of the disabled.”
Before joining Nyman Turkish PC, Jason completed his legal training at the Northwestern University School of Law. He graduated with honors, was a member of the School’s prestigious Moot Court Club, and attained Dean’s Lists every semester. Throughout his time in Law School, Jason worked extensively as an extern with then nationally known attorney and advocate Richard Bernstein, now an Associate Justice of the Michigan Supreme Court.
In addition to his legal practice, Jason is a frequent lecturer on disability law and public policy. Jason is also a former Gubernatorial Appointee to the Barrier Free Design Board, which enforces accessibility standards to businesses and public entities throughout Michigan. Prior to law school, Jason earned his Bachelor’s Degree in Political Science from the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor. Jason currently lives in Huntington Woods, Michigan, a suburb of Metro-Detroit.
- Won a landmark settlement against the Law School Admission Council (LSAC) that will change the way blind law school applicants are tested.
- Brought a conditional preliminary injunction against the Department of Homeland Security that will prevent any decorated combat veteran from being forced to return to a work assignment that exacerbates symptoms of Posttraumatic Stress Disorder.
- Represented the world’s fastest blind triathlete in attaining equal treatment in Olympic qualifying events.
- Challenged the American Bar Association’s discriminatory practice of requiring blind law school applicants to take the Law School Admission Test (LSAT) examination (a test that requires test takers to draw pictures and utilize diagrams).
- Won a case in federal court on behalf of a deaf high school wrestler who was denied using a sign language interpreter.
- Sued the Detroit Metro Airport twice to improve safety for individuals with disabilities who use public transportation services. The result was the creation of accessible public bus stops for individuals with disabilities.
- The University of Michigan, (B.A., Political Science)
- Northwestern University School of Law, (J.D.), cum laude
- State Bar of Michigan
- United States District Court Eastern District of Michigan
- United States District Court Western District of Michigan
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- Supreme Court of the United States
- Super Lawyers (Rising Star)
- Top Attorneys in Michigan (Rising Star)
- America’s Top 100 High Stakes Litigators
- American Bar Association
- National Organization of Social Security Claimant’s Representatives (NOSSCR)
- Michigan Association for Justice
- American Association for Justice
- National Association of Disability Representatives
- Michigan Barrier Free Design Board (Past Member and Chair)
- Michigan Eastern District Judicial Nominations Advisory Committee (Member)
- Michigan Attorney Discipline Board (Member)